Watch the above video about Cleaning with Essential Oils. I delve into how being conscious about what we use to clean with is actually an act of self-love, and how we can change the idea of what "clean" actually means! Then check out the recipes below so that you can get started using non-toxic, mindful, natural solutions to clean your home! To Purchase oils click HERE and to join in my weekly, FREE, oils classes click HERE
All Purpose Cleaning Spray:
1 Cup Warm Water
1 Cup White Vinegar
20-25 drops essential oil of your choosing
1. In a glass spray bottle, combine water and vinegar
2. Add essential oils
3. Use on counters, wood, glass, stainless steel and porcelain
4. Wipe with microfiber cloth or paper towel
Stove top Cleaner:
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Table Salt
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
4-5 drops essential oil (try lemon, lime, melaleuca, or a combination of the three)
1. Stir all ingredients together until they form a paste and spread over stove top
2. Leave it on for 15 minutes or longer for tougher stains
3. Using a sponge, scrub the mixture into grime
4. Remove excess cleaner and wipe surface clean
Dishwasher Detergent Tabs:
1 Cup Baking Soda
1/4 citric acid
1 tablespoon doTERRA OnGuard cleaner concentrate
5 drops grapefruit oil
1. Put baking soda, citric acid, doTERRA OnGuard cleaner concentrate and grapefruit oil in mixing bowl. Mix together until is has an even consistency.
2. Place in silicone molds and let sit for 4 hours. Remove tabs
3. Store in airtight container
4. Use in dishwasher in place of store bought tabs (one per wash)
Soft Scrub Bathroom Cleaner:
3/4 rounded cup of baking soda
1/4 cup unscented castile soap
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon vinegar
5-10 drops Lemon Oil
1. In a bowl combine baking soda and castile soap
2. Add water and stir
3. Add vinegar and essential oil. The consistency should be a soft paste
4. Apply to area you would like to clean, let sit 5-10 minutes
5. After solution has had a chance to sit, scrub clean. Once done scrubbing take a wet cloth and wipe clean.
NOTE: Make in small batches and store in airtight container. This is enough for for two to four applications
Toilet Cleaning Pods:
1 Cup Baking soda
1/4 Cup Citric Acid
1 1/2 tablespoon unscented castile soap
15 drops essential oil (try melaleuca, lime, siberian fir, lemon, cilantro or any combination of)
1. Stir the baking soda and citric acid until combined
2. Slowly stir in citric acid and essential oils. Stir until it resembles wet sand
3. Pack the mixture into silicone molds and let sit for at least 4 hours. If mixture expands above the molds, simply press back down.
4. Once dry remove from molds and store in dry place.
5. To use, simply drop in toilet, wait for pod to start bubbling and begin scrubbing.
Essential Oil Wood Polish:
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Vinegar
10 drops doTERRA Essential OIls (Wild Orange, Lemon, or Arborvitae)
1. Add olive oil and vinegar to glass spray bottle
2. Add 10 drops of essential oil
3. Shake well before each use
4. Apply to microfiber cloth and wipe wood clean. Repeat every 2-3 months as needed
16-ounce spray bottle
1 1/2 Cup White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Distilled Water
8 drops citrus oils of choice (Lemon, Lime, Wild Orange)
Add vinegar, water and essential oils to spray bottle and shake. Spray onto glass
surfaces and wipe clean.
2 tablespoons baking soda
5 drops Lemon essential oil
1 Cup water
Cleansing wipe or towel
1. For sticker removal, first peel off parts of sticker that will remove easily.
2. Combine baking soda, lemon EO and water in a dish.
3. Apply mixture to surface and let soak for 5 minutes
4. Use a damp cloth to wipe surface clean.
2 Cups baking soda
10 drops essential oils (recommended: Lavender, Lemon, Cypress or Eucalyptus)
1. Add essential oils to baking soda and stir to combine
2. Sprinkle mixture over carpet
3. Let rest one to two hours. Vacuum.
4. Store remaining mixture in airtight container for future use.
And of course, doTERRA makes it incredibly easy should you not want to make some of these yourself with the OnGuard cleaning and homecare products!
is a Mama, Wife, Teacher, Writer and Creator of One OM at a time. She has been teaching and studying yoga since 2008 and has taught at studios in Syracuse, Boston and New York City. For two years her hOMe was wherever she, her husband Justin, their daughter Audrey and pug Oscar find themselves as they traveled for Justin's job on the national tour of Matilda the Musical. This way of living has really taught Sara that yoga and mediation requires nothing more than some time and a space for your mat. You can find Sara teaching regular classes in NYC, workshops and retreats all over the country as well as in her very own online studio right here!